Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Glass Half-Full

The time is coming quickly when we will be moving out of the place I have called home for the last 7 years. This is the same place where I recovered from cancer and the side effects of treatment. It's also where I came to the sad realization in a phone call to my mother that I would probably never work again because of the brain damage caused by the cancer. It's where I cradled our wonderful kitty one more time before we took her to the vet to be put to sleep and it's where I received a phone call from my father telling me that my beloved grandmother had died.
Ultimately, it's not any more sad or tragic than any one else. These incidents occur in all our lives and we process them and move on. I can still remember being in junior high school as classes ended and planning to meet up with someone later that afternoon. This wasn't just anyone however. It was with one of the more popular kids at school and we were going to hang out and watch the track team or something like that. Yes, it was a man-date and I was kind of excited about getting the opportunity to hang out with the "cool kids". I came home to dump off my books, grab a snack and then head back to the school, when my mother stopped me, her eyes red and told me my grandfather had died that afternoon of a heart attack. And so, at that moment, life shifted gears on me.
They say that some people are carried along by life, gently carrying them to the next event and others are swept off their feet, colliding into the next set of circumstances before they've had a chance to catch their breath. I've been lucky, either by circumstance or stubbornness, but I have survived so far and the glass is still half-full.

No comments:

Post a Comment