Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Love of My Life

He is the love of my life, the cream in my coffee and my best friend. He's also a little bit scatterbrained. I think it's because there's so much stuff in his brain already and he refuses to throw anything away, so now with that physics degree thing he's been working on, there's just no room left for rational thought. I don't think there's even room for normal, mundane thought. This past weekend we had a dingbat trifecta:
On the way to see the "Budge and Co." in Boca Raton (about 20 minutes and 6 exits away on the interstate), he gets off 4 exits too soon and when asked why he got off here, "Oh, I'm just so used to going this way. Want to see where I work?"
We're coming home and he says, "Remind me to pull over and get some gas when you see the next gas station." So, about 5 minutes later, I point out a station on the right and he pulls in, unfortunately, he's forgotten what side the fuel door is on and begins to swerve back and forth between the pumps until I yell out, "It's on the left!" Now, mind you, he's had this car for over 3 years and has put gas in it hundreds and hundreds of times.
After getting gas, which by the way, he has to open the door while pumping so he can "chat", effectively letting in not only the stifling heat but also gas fumes, we unexpectedly pull into Publix supermarket's parking lot. "What are we doing here? Do we need something?" I ask. He replies sheepishly, "Uh....for something....but I don't know. I just turned in here out of habit."
His mother has told me often how she always knew that "it would take a special kind of person to live with him."
She wasn't kidding...

No comments:

Post a Comment